Friday 29 August 2014

Fish Doll Mooncake 简易鱼儿公仔饼 (中英食谱教程)

Photo updated on 15 September 2018


I have never like GongZaiPeng 公仔饼  (meaning picture or doll biscuit in Cantonese) since young . My impression of them is a type of mooncake biscuit without lotus paste and shaped usually like a piggy and sold in a small basket. When I saw this special Peach Doll Mooncake at Kimmy's blog, I immediately bookmarked it. This recipe is different from the normal ones as lotus paste is mixed together with other ingredients to form the dough. I knew it's gonna be different with the addition of lotus paste, it will surely be tastier! 




This morning I prepared the dough at 7am (it needs to be rested for 2~3 hours) before going off for my breakfast date with my neighbour, Emily who is also a self-learn baker like me and is really good with fondant creations! We had a great time catching up with each other due to our common passion! :)


I returned home to work on the dough three hours later. I have chosen this fish mould (a boiled egg mould actually) which I have gotten from the Daiso shop in Japan last year. 





This 公仔饼 can be eaten the next day unlike the normal ones which required 回油 (oil return) for about one week before you can consume it. I couldn't wait till tomorrow and tried one after it has cooled down. It sure tasted good and I immediately fell in love with it! :D I believe it will taste nicer tomorrow when the texture becomes softer. I will be making more to contribute to my church mini fundraising fair this Sunday. :) 





Fish Doll Mooncake 简易鱼儿公仔饼
(adapted from here



Ingredients: (makes 23 pieces of 35g dough each according to the mould I used)  



*Recipe updated on 22 Sept 2017



100g plain flour 

250g cake flour  

190g golden syrup  
100ml peanut oil (I used rice bran oil)
5 g / 1tsp alkaline water
150g lotus seed paste



Egg wash for surface: 

1 egg + 1 tbsp milk, mix well and strained. (I used 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp milk)

Ingredients updated on 22 Sept 2017



食材:(根据我用的模,可做23个,35克面团)

100克 中筋面粉 


250克 低筋面粉
190克 转化糖浆 

100毫升 花生油 (用米糠油)

 5克 / 1小勺 碱水
150克 纯莲蓉

表层涂面:
蛋1个 + 鲜奶 1大勺, 搅拌均匀后过滤。 (我用1粒蛋黄+ 鲜奶 1大勺 )




Methods 做法:

1. In a mixing bowl, add in syrup, oil, alkaline water and lotus seed paste. Stir mix until well combine. (I used a fork to mix)

1。在钢盆里加入糖浆、油、碱水和莲蓉一起搅拌均匀。(我用叉子混合均匀




2. Add in sifted flour and form dough. Cover the dough with clingwrap and rest for 2 - 3 hours. 
2。面粉过筛再加入,搅拌均匀成面团。用保鲜纸盖住面团,放置休息 2 ~ 3个小时。

Photo updated on 22 Sept 2017


3. Divide the dough into portions that fits the mould you are using. Roll each portion into a ball. Dust the mooncake mould with some flour. Press the dough into the mould. Tap lightly to unmould. Arrange in a baking tray. (I omitted the dusting as the dough was very oily and could detach from the mould after few knockings.) 
3。根据你用的模具,把面团分成小份,搓圆。模具撒上少许粉,然后放入模里,印出形状,再敲出来。(我没在模具里撒粉,因为面团很油,敲几下就出来了。)


4. Bake the mooncakes in a preheated oven at 160 degrees Celcius for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Brush the top with egg wash. Return to oven to bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. (For my brandt oven, I used the traditional function and bake at 160 degrees Celcius for 10 mins before returning to the oven to bake for 20 minutes)  
4。放入预热后的烤箱以160摄氏度,烤10分钟,取出放一旁待冷15分钟。涂上一层的蛋液,再放入烤箱烤10-15分钟或至金黄色即可。(我的烤箱以上下火160摄氏度先烤10分钟,取出休息后,涂上一层的蛋液,再烤20分钟。)
 






5. After the doll mooncakes has cooled down completely, keep in an air-tight container. It is ready to consume the next day and can be kept up to weeks if it is dry enough after baking.

5。公仔饼放在凉网散热后,把它收在封密的盒子里。隔天可以享用。如果烘烤得干,不潮湿的话,可收藏好几个星期。








Notes 小笔记:
1. Apply the egg wash after the mooncake has cooled down to get a more even colouring on the surface.
1。待凉后再把蛋液涂上,烤出来的饼皮颜色会比较均匀好看。

2. If you have done this mooncake correctly, it should be soft and will not stick to your teeth and can be consumed the next day. (I couldn't wait, and ate it on the day that it was baked! )
2。 这公仔饼如果做法正确,肯定会是松软的。而且不太会粘牙齿。而且烘好后,隔夜就可以享用了。(我等不及,烤出来马上享用。。哈哈! )


3. The reason for using alkaline water is that it can neutralize the acidity of the golden syrup and helps the mooncake to brown nicely when baked. It also makes the dough more stretchable and improve the taste and texture of mooncake.  

3。做月饼要放碱水的原因是因为可中和转化糖浆中的酸性, 不然饼皮会很难上色。碱水也可以帮助饼皮蓬松起来, 增加口感。


4.  Golden syrup has a strong moisturizing effect, thus able to keep the mooncake skin soft.

4。转化糖浆有很强的保湿作用,使月饼皮保持柔软。




For more mooncake recipes 其他月饼食谱:
1. Click here for Shanghai Mooncakes 上海月饼
2. Click here for Baked Chocolate Mooncakes 巧克力烤皮月饼
3. Click here for Healthy Snowskin Mooncakes 健康全天然材料冰皮月饼
4. Click here for Rainbow Snowskin Mooncakes  彩虹冰皮月饼
5. Click here for Baked Custard Mooncakes 酥皮奶黄月饼
6. Click here for Watermelon Shaped Pastry Mooncake 西瓜造型月饼
7. Click here for Healthy Purple Sweet Potato Snowskin Mooncakes 健康紫薯冰皮月饼
8. Click here for Cheesy Shanghai Mooncakes 芝士上海月饼
9. Click here for Baked Mooncake with Mandarin Peel Red Bean Paste 陈皮红豆沙烤皮月饼

This batch of doll mooncakes were made few days later. 
这批是几天后再做的



Click here to see my readers who have tried out this Fish Doll Mooncake recipe and their feedbacks. 

点击看已试过这鱼儿公仔饼食谱的读者们和他们的反馈。







This post is also linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe

“It takes time and effort to compose or translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you do not copy and pass it off as your own recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please provide a link to the relevant post here. Thank you.”
编写或翻译食谱需要时间和精力的,请不要复制或将它作为自己的食谱。如果你想分享在我部落格的任何食谱,请提供在这里的相关链接,谢谢。"

© Copyright 2014 bakingtaitai.blogspot.sg

37 comments :

QembarDelites said...

I too like this recipe but couldn't find a fish mould here. Got to go to Daiso to look for this mould! Love the shape a lot!

Anita said...

Hi,for this recipe ,is it must add in lotus seed paste?? Can do it without?? Thanks...

Jozelyn Ng said...

I have this mould too, haha! Your gong zai bing so cute.

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Jeannie, it was last minute that I wanted to try out this recipe,didn't have any wooden mooncake mould for this 公仔饼 and found this egg mould in my cupboard that I decided to use it to try out, very happy with the result. :)

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Anita, lotus seed paste is one of the main ingredient in this recipe. If you like to omit it then please try another recipe which does not required it otherwise you would change the texture totally.

Baking Taitai said...

Thanks Jozelyn, haha..then you can use it to try this out. :)

Fion said...

Hi Cheryl,妳这公仔饼cute cute的
谢谢妳支持我家的Best Recipes活动 :)

LY's Kitchen Ventures said...

Hi 5 again! We made the same mooncake again. Hahaha!
I used my piglet mould for this recipe but added white peach lotus paste. Very refreshing! Also used traditional mooncake recipe for another batch. Tired die me!
Your fish mould is really cute and your fish mooncakes look very yummy! Slurp!

Baking Taitai said...

Fion, 也谢谢你!

Baking Taitai said...

Indeed Hi-5!!! I bought the white peach lotus paste too and used it in my baked chocolate mooncake, gives a refreshing taste, but the xingjiang rock melon paste is even nicer! :)

Unknown said...

Hi baking Tai tai can i substitute super lite flour with pao flour?

向日葵葵 ~ Sunflower Grace said...

These little fishes are adorable. Mini size too. Can have a few pieces at one time.

Susanne Ng said...

So adorable! U definitely got me interested!

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Cheryl, I don't have appropriate moulds to make公仔饼 .. next year I must buy some ... but now can I fish some of your adorable cutie fishes for tea ?...hee hee !

YumMum said...

I tried using the same mould but cant get the fishes out.. hahah.. any pointers? Thanks.

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Serene, I am not sure as I have not tried it.

Baking Taitai said...

Thanks Grace, yes I ate a few peices at one go and feel like a cat...meow meow ;p

Baking Taitai said...

Thanks Susanne, do try it, guarantee nice!

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Karen, I also don't have appropriate moulds to make this doll mooncake and make do with my boiled egg mould instead. Sure come, help yourself and fish some for tea. ;p

Baking Taitai said...

Hi YumMum, my dough was very oily as I followed the original recipe of using 100g of oil and I just gave a few hard knock and it came off. Some a little out of shape when came out, then I have to redo again. You have to be very patient though as it does not come out as easily as compared to using a mooncake mould with plunger.

lena said...

now you made me want to make some 公仔饼 too! i've never attempted to make them before..i need to bookmark this first!

Bakericious said...

Cheryl, these are so cute!

Baking Taitai said...

Lena,this is my first attempt of 公仔饼 and I really like this recipe as it is really tasty, so different from those 猪笼饼selling at the stores which are hard and dry, that's why never like it since young!

Baking Taitai said...

Thanks Jess!

Unknown said...

Jeannie, did u manage to see this fish mold in Daiso?

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Love these!! Super cute!!!

Zoe said...

Hi Cheryl,

This recipe has been very popular for the mid-autumn festival this year. I love your idea of using the Daiso mould to make your mooncake. Cute! I would make Hello Kitty ones for myself :p

Zoe

Baking Taitai said...

Thanks Zoe!

huiying said...

Hi, can i use canola oil instead of peanut or corn oil as i only have that?

For the paste, is it okay if i replace with red bean paste?

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Huiying, yes you can. For the paste, imo the texture of red bean paste is not as smooth as lotus paste. But no harm trying, just that you may not achieve the result (in terms of texture and taste) of what this recipe is suppose to give.

huiying said...

Hi, i have tried baking, but why is it that the surface will crack, i cant see my bear face anymore... sob

Baking Taitai said...

Huiying, you have baked at too high a temperature. Every oven is different due to different thermostat, you will have to adjust the temperature and timing accordingly.

Pumpkin Mummy said...

Hi, I went to get Lye water (alkaline) and saw poison care info on its label. Is this safe to use it or are there any substitute ?

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Pumpkin Mummy, I do not know of a substitute for alkaline water. Do get the food-grade alkaline water from baking supplier shop suitable for baking and not those low grades lye which are unsuitable for food preparation.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this incredible recipe! I just made it and it came out perfect! Delicious and easy to make!

Lzzie said...

Hi, thanks for sharing d recipe.
Is plain flour same as wheat flour?

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Lzzie, plain flour belongs to a variety of of wheat flour with protein content of 9% to 11%.